Friday, August 28, 2015

DigCit Blog 2 Prompt

   I have decided to focus my project on promoting a charity that raises awareness on Glioblastoma Multiforme(GBM). I have decided to focus on this charity in specific because it raises awareness on something that happened in my life that had a big impact on me personally. 
   Sometime freshmen year, I was still unsure on wether or not I wanted to continue playing baseball. I knew that I wanted to continue practicing so if I wanted to continue playing, I could do it easily. I had no coach or mentor given the fact that it was the off season but my parents were good friends with a person who was good at baseball. I heard he was a very cool guy who knew a lot about baseball and used to play a lot of it. I decided to practice with the guy although I did not know him at all. I felt rather uneasy but I decided to go to our one-on-one practice. This was when I first met Michael.
   Although I cannot remember the details vividly, I do remember his attitude. Michael was a very optimistic and very positive person. He knew baseball very well, but he knew people better. He knew exacty what to say to people and how to say it. After roughly two weeks, my parents informed that Michael previously had cancer. I knew this was a big deal, but it wasnt at the same time. Cancer never was something that defined Michael and even after learning he had cancer, it never changed my perspective of Michael.
   After a couple months after first meeting Michael, my mother informed me that he had cancer yet again. I was scared of what might happen but I knew he was a fighter and would never stop fighting. Me and Michael still talked every once in awhile after that but I still asked my parents about how we was doing. This time was a lot different though because this form of cancer was a lot worse. I wont go into details but the symptoms were making themselves known. The symptoms went of for about a month or two but there was still hope. Then, after being picked up from my friends, my mother informed that Michael has passed away.
   When I found that out, it very hard. For awhile I was very sad that I would not be able to see or talk to him ever again and it was very strange because it was so sudden. He left behind two young kids and his wife and I wanted to do everything I could to help them out. When I found out his wife started a charity that helps families with dealing with Giloblastoma Multiforme, I had to help. I attented their first 7K annual event and also helped out. So, for my passion project, I will be helping Michaels wife Linda with the event. I will be raising awareness hopefully by making videos and interviewing Michaels family. I also will be helping out with the actual event. Although Michael passed away at the hands of GBM, he won the fight because it never changed him. 

3 comments:

  1. @MsDanielleOrosz
    Thank you very much! I hope my project will raise awareness in my community and hopefully in the world!(:

    ReplyDelete